Mar 3, 2010

Teaching Two's

Spring is getting closer and I can't wait to open the windows and smell the fresh air. It will be so great to be able to take walks downtown and play outside with the kids - I'm looking forward to it!

The kids are well. Ethan has definitely entered the two year old season of life. It's the season where they are learning to express themselves and the season of temper tandrums when things don't go his way. He's been hitting and pushing Gracelyn when he gets mad or will pick up a toy and throw it across the room. Time-out always follows! Ha. I remember this season with so many of my daycare kids - fun times :)

They refer to this season as the "Terrible Two's" but that term rubs me the wrong way, I feel like it implies "terrible kids" when it's simply part of how they learn. They are starting to become their own person, they are starting to express their emotions, feelings, etc. Boys tend to express themselves in a more physical way (throwing themselves down on the floor, hitting, etc) where girls tend to express themselves more emotionally (crying/whining). So, I refer to this season as the "Teaching Two's" instead. Teaching him what is right and wrong, what is acceptable behavior and what is not acceptable behavior. You know, raising a child. Proverbs 22:6 says, "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."

We are focusing on spending extra time with Ethan during this "teaching two" season and learning to direct him in Godly ways. He's learning to make his own decisions and our job as parents is to teach him about his decisions - good and bad and to just love him. Jeremy and I are watching a DVD series right now on Biblical Parenting, it's called, "Loving Your Kids on Purpose." We haven't gotten through much of it yet but one of the things the guy says that I wrote down and love is this: "The most important thing you can do as a parent is not teach your child to comply and obey. The most important thing you can do is build a strong lasting connection. Your heart to their heart. There is no fear in love. There is no fear of punishment in love."

I just love that. I want to get it written on a plaque and hang it in our house until the kids are grown and living on their own. I think it applies to when they are 2 and when they are 13. He is not saying you don't teach your children to obey, he's saying that it's not the most important thing and I couldn't agree more. I think sometimes parents focus so much on their child obeying them and not enough time building that strong connection with them and loving them. You know? For us, this is why spanking is not for us. I'm not against it and if families feel it's the right choice for them then that is totally great but for us it is not. We feel it instills fear in them and it's just not the way we want to teach our kids. So, for now, we are doing time-out's and focusing on giving Ethan extra love and attention during this season.

He's our sweet and sensitive boy and we are so in love with him - he's such a joy to us and makes us laugh everyday by being his silly self.

Ethan playing in the laundry basket :)

Miss Gracelyn is doing well. She is such a go getter. I know I say this all the time but it is just so funny. She goes after what she wants, whether it's a toy, a cracker that Ethan has in his hand or mom or dad - she goes for it! She doesn't give up easily either. She is still mainly crawling but is getting better at standing on her own for periods of time and we are always walking with her and letting her try and take more steps. She's such a beautiful little girl and has such a sweet personality. I definitely don't think she will be shy - I see her being outgoing. I think both of our kids will be actually. Time will tell.

Gracelyn's latest thing is screaming. It's not because she's mad, she just likes to do it throughout the day because she's figured out how too and thinks it's fun I guess. At first I thought it was cute and now not so much ;) Haha! I took a little video of her this morning and you can see what I mean a little bit. She also likes to throw her head back in her highchair - again, not because she's mad but because she can. She's been doing this for months. She's kinda silly like her brother. I see lots of fun times growing up with these kids in our future ;)

She's been teething we think the past couple days because she's been more fussy than usual and her hands are in her mouth, rosy cheeks - all the signs of teething. Her bottom two are definitely in and wow does this girl love to eat!! She loves table food - anything we have given her so far she chows and eats as fast as she can, it's so funny. So different from Ethan at this age (well, and now! Ha!) She is definitely our eater and Ethan is a very selective eater :)

Anyhow, here's the video I took of her this morning. Such a ham she is.


I have such a blessed life. I am in love with my man of almost 7 married years together and the mom to 2 adorable kids and most importantly I am loved by God, what more could I ask for? Nothing!

Momma Keri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are also loved and cherished by your in-laws!