Apr 21, 2011

Thankfulness



Do you ever have moments in your life when you hear a story and it completely changes your perspective? A story that reminds you how blessed you are, how much you have to be thankful for and how short this life on earth really is? I sure do.

God has taught me a lot about thankfulness in the past few years. Through hard times I have learned to be thankful. I love who God is. I love that when life brings hard times, as it will, God always brings something good from them. If we let Him. He's a GOOD God. I strongly believe that. I strongly believe God doesn't bring the hard times. Whether it be sickness, loss, tragedy, poverty, abuse, etc. It's not from Him.

I have a hard time understanding people and Christians who believe this. Who believe that God brings those things in our lives to "teach" us something. That it's His will. I do believe God can and does teach us things through hard times, I just don't believe He's the one who gives those things. It's simply not who He is. He is good, He is faithful, He is merciful, He is gracious, He is forgiving, He is peace, He is love.

Would I give cancer to Ethan or Gracelyn to teach them something? Would I abuse them to teach them something? Would I want them to live on the streets with no food, water or clothing to teach them something? NO WAY!!! Why?? Because I love them more anything. My heart is so full of love for them that sometimes it feels like it's going to explode. We know that God's love for us is greater than any love - so we know that He feels the same way about us.

I think of sweet little Kate often. A little girl who is fighting brain cancer. I think of her parents and can't even imagine the emotions and feelings they face each day. I pray for Kate often and pray for a miracle. Kate's story has made me so grateful. Grateful for healthy children.

I think of a woman named Charity. A wife/mom who was out of town with her 2 young daughters and received a call that her husband and 5 month old son died in a fire that started in their home. He was a youth pastor in Grand Rapids. A friend of mine attends the church he pastored at and was close to him and his family. When I read the story on her facebook this past week, my heart sank. I cannot imagine it. My heart has been breaking for her. I can't imagine facing such deep loss. My friend shared with me that through this awful tragedy, God is bringing beautiful things from it. Beautiful things from a very ugly tragedy.

This story made me so grateful. Grateful to have my husband and children. Grateful that I have a personal relationship with a God who is good and will carry me through hard times. Grateful for the body of Christ and that we can come together and pray for one another during the hard times.

He's carried me through financial hardships. He's carried me through heartbreak. He's carried me through verbal abuse. He's carried me through miscarriage. And so much more. I'm so thankful. Thankful for His love. Thankful for His peace. Thankful for what He's done for me. He's so good and I am grateful.

I challenge you to think about some of the things you have to be thankful for today. I've been challenging myself also. Sometimes I complain about the smallest things and then I think of Kate. I think of Charity. I think of how hard life can be, how short it really is and how I want my heart, my words, my life to always be a reflection of thankfulness and not one of a complaining spirit.

I'm thankful for so much. I thank God for this new little life in me - a little boy we call Lincoln Jude. He's healthy! Thank you Jesus. And he's growing by the day :) Here's my 20 week belly bump to prove it :)



I didn't plan on writing about thankfulness but it's just what came out when I started to write and so I wanted to take some time to express my gratitude to God.

Our family of four is doing well. We had a mini vacation to Kalahari last week (America's Largest Indoor Waterpark) and had a really nice time. The kids both loved it and it was so great to watch them having so much fun. Here's a few pics.

Ethan going down his favorite yellow slide.

Gracelyn being a fish :)

Gracelyn and daddy

Mommy & Gracelyn

We hope to go back next year and make it our 3rd annual Kalahari trip!


I got back on Tuesday night from a mini getaway to the Amish with Gracelyn. It was the first time I had a few days alone with just my girl and it was really nice. I love bonding with my kids one on one and it was super nice to give her all my attention for a few days. We had a nice time. Daddy and Ethan had some boy time at home too which was nice. We skyped everyday and it really helped being away from my boys! Ethan was really missing Gracelyn and asking about her all the time Jeremy said. So sweet. They really are the best of friends - I just love my little angels :)

I'm off to spend some time with my hubby. Tomorrow is Good Friday and he has the day off so I'm looking forward to a long weekend together as a family.

"Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart." Colossians 4:2

"Be thankful in all circumstances." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 107:1


Thankful,
Momma Keri ♥

No comments: